I have spent the last 10 minutes getting my iPhone to charge using a cable with a loose connection. Again, I curse at technology as my phone dies, and I have to search around for another cable, of which I have came into ownership of a ton. And only about half of them actually work.
This hasn’t been my only issue with technology recently. I have had to use a lot of computers at work, which are shared. Like sometimes more than one account can be logged into the PC at a time. Which is handy when there is limited computers available, but not very good when you rely on the PC being fast. To do the job I do, I need multiple programmes open at once, and I must be able to jump between them all seemlessly. This does happen, when someone on another profile jams the print queue, and just logs out. And it happens a lot, and the only way to fix is to restart everything. Which takes way too long.
So, to humour myself the other day whilst my PC was resetting, I thought of a few things that could be done whilst waiting for a work PC to load.
1) Have a cup of tea, even watching the kettle boil would be quicker than the PC.
2) Do the Metro crossword. And that includes colouring in boxes so that my words fit.
3) Annoy several colleagues by singing Christmas songs.
4) Attend a First Aid incident. It’s okay, I am trained.
5) Go for a walk and see how other colleagues are doing.
6) Sweep the floor and tidy up. At a push.
7) Cry at the pile of work getting bigger, that you can do nothing about.
8) Try to give ‘new starts’ directions, and confusing them when I say ‘right’ and point left.
9) Go to stores and refill all the paper and pen supplies.
10) Realise that I would be quicker doing everything manually.